Now Facebook is allowing anyone to look you up using your security phone number

Now Facebook is allowing anyone to look you up using your security phone number

 

                

And I mean, geez,

stuff like this with Facebook just isn’t a surprise anymore, is it? For years social media Big Brother had been pestering its users to secure their account with two-factor authentication (2FA) by prompting them to enter their phone number so they could get a text with a security code login when logging into their account from a new device for the first time.

On the surface, Facebook prompting people to enable 2FA was a good thing–if you have 2FA enabled it’s much harder for someone who isn’t you to log in to your account. But this being Facebook, they’re not just going to do something that is only good for the user, are they?

Last year it came to light that Facebook was using the phone numbers people submitted to the company solely so they could protect their accounts with 2FA for targeted advertising. And now, as security researcher and New York Times columnist Zeynep Tufekci pointed out, Facebook is allowing anyone to look up a user by their phone number, the same phone number that was supposed to be for security purposes only.

Oh, and Facebook won’t let users opt out of this privacy violation they never opted in to. The most you can now do is limit who can look you up with the phone number you provided to “Friends,” but you can’t hide it entirely. And remember, by default Facebook allows the whole world to find out who you are by entering your phone number.

In response to the growing outrage over Facebook’s latest data misuse scandal, a company spokesperson told TechCrunch, “We appreciate the feedback we’ve received about these settings and will take it into account.” Sigh. Sure you will. If users want to try to claw back some of their privacy from Facebook’s latest data grab, go into the Settings of your Facebook account, click Privacy, then click “How People Find and Contact You.” Then click “Who can look you up using the phone number you provided?” and change the dropdown box from “Everyone” to “Friends.”

Article Produced By
Michael Grothaus

Michael Grothaus is a novelist, journalist, and former screenwriter represented worldwide by Marjacq Scripts Ltd?. His debut novel EPIPHANY JONES is out now from Orenda Books. Contact his agent at Marjacq Scripts Ltd?. You can also read more about him at MichaelGrothaus.com. You can also follow him on Twitter.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90314763/now-facebook-is-allowing-anyone-to-look-you-up-using-your-security-phone-number

Gibraltar Stock Exchange Launches Listings of Blockchain-Based Securities

Gibraltar Stock Exchange Launches Listings of Blockchain-Based Securities

                                  

The Gibraltar Stock Exchange (GSX) is launching listings

of blockchain-powered securities on its practical listing venue GSX Global Market, the firm announced on April 9. Today, the GSX starts listing a number of new products known as digital, smart or tokenized securities such as corporate bonds, convertible bonds, asset-backed securities, derivative securities, open-ended funds and closed-ended funds, the announcement says.

By applying distributed ledger technology (DLT), the GSX intends to enable greater liquidity pools and facilitate democratizing the capital markets, the firm noted in the press release. In contrast to the GSX Main Market, GSX Global Market provides a lighter reporting scheme and disclosure framework, which will purportedly enable issuers with reduced timelines and listing costs. As a recognized stock exchange regulated in the European Economic Area (EEA), GSX Global Market does not require debt issuers with securities listed on the market to withhold tax on coupons under British law, as the press release notes.

The new listings come on the heels of the partnership of an integrated tokenized securities exchange product by GSX Group’s subsidiary Hashtacs and STO Global-X on April 5. The project enables stock exchanges and other qualified financial institutions to tokenize assets and boost the trading, clearing and settling of digital securities. In March 2019, the GSX successfully deployed a GSX Digital Stock Exchange Prototype on the Securities Trading Asset Classification Settlement (STACS) blockchain, and issued a demo bond on its basis. Developed along with Singapore-based blockchain firm Hashstacs, the STACS-enabled project enables listings of digital representations of funds and debts on blockchain.

Article Produced By
Helen Partz

Helen is passionate about learning languages, cultures and the Internet. She has years of experience working at international online advertising projects. Growing interested in Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in late 2017, she joined Cointelegraph as a writer.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/gibraltar-stock-exchange-launches-listings-of-blockchain-based-securities

Bitmain Says Now-Lapsed IPO Made Firm More Transparent, Reveals Appointment of New CEO

Bitmain Says Now-Lapsed IPO Made Firm More Transparent, Reveals Appointment of New CEO

            

Chinese crypto mining titan Bitmain’s filing to list an initial public offering (IPO)

on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (HKEx) has officially expired, according to an updated list of now-lapsed applications on the HKEx website on March 26. In a blog post published the same day, the company acknowledged that its IPO application was now inactive, and simultaneously revealed the appointment of a new CEO, Mr. Haichao Wang. As reported yesterday, Bitmain’s IPO filing — published in English and Chinese on Sept. 26, 2018 — was set to imminently reach the end of a six-month validity window, pursuant to HKEx listing rules.

These rules provide a window for a given application to proceed to a closed-door hearing before the exchange’s Listing Committee, which is tasked with giving the final approval or disapproval of the offering. Should this fail to happen within this time frame, the listing formally lapses. In its statement, Bitmain confirmed the expiration, emphasizing that it remains committed to realizing the “huge potential of the cryptocurrency and blockchain industry,” which it noted “remains a relatively young industry which is proving its value.”

The statement added:

“We hope regulatory authorities, media, and the general public can be more inclusive to this young industry. We will restart the listing application work at an appropriate time in the future.”

At the same time, Bitmain claimed that undergoing the HKEx listing route has “made the company more transparent and standardized,” adding that the “process of rationalization and optimization” has heightened the company’s focus on the core elements of its mission.

The company outlines the range of measures it has taken to streamline and rationalize its operations, revealing the appointment of Mr. Wang as CEO, who is reportedly a veteran of the chip manufacturing industry and has already successfully headed several units within Bitmain.

As reported, this January Jihan Wu and Micree Zhan Ketuan had stepped aside as co-CEOs: today’s post confirms they will remain on as directors of the firm. The post also alludes to the numerous contractions Bitmain has this year made to its global business — along with cuts to its workforce — noting that “it was a difficult but necessary decision as we continue to build a long-term, sustainable and scalable business.”

As part of its strategy to weather the market downturn, Bitmain outlines that it has established  “clear business divisions for mining hardware, AI, mining farms and mining pools,” and “ integrated the resource lines for chip design, hardware and software to provide more effective support for our key business lines and to allocate premium resources to our major and key projects.” As previously reported, the extensive earnings disclosures that Bitmain submitted in line with the IPO listing requirements had revealed the firm was shouldering hefty losses amid the bear market. Financial, legal, and regulatory difficulties appeared likely to imperil its IPO application, as a Cointelegraph analysis outlined this January.

Article Produced By
Marie Huillet

Marie Huillet is an independent filmmaker, with a background in journalism and publishing. Nomadic by nature, she’s lived in five different countries this decade. She’s fascinated by Blockchain technologies’ potential to reshape all aspects of our lives.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitmain-says-now-lapsed-ipo-made-firm-more-transparent-reveals-appointment-of-new-ceo

Bitcoin Pioneer Jeff Garzik Subpoenaed in $4 Bln Lawsuit Against Craig Wright

Bitcoin Pioneer Jeff Garzik Subpoenaed in $4 Bln Lawsuit Against Craig Wright

            

Software engineer and Bitcoin (BTC) pioneer Jeff Garzik

has been subpoenaed by a United States District Court in connection with the $4 billion lawsuit against Craig Wright, according to a document Garzik posted in a tweet on March 15. The suit was initially filed last February with the U.S. District Court of the Southern District of Florida, with the family of David Kleiman —  a computer scientist, whom many suspect to have been one of the developers of Bitcoin and blockchain technology — alleging that Wright stole up to 1.1 million BTC after he passed away.

Following Kleiman’s death in 2013, Wright, who proclaimed himself to be Bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto, contacted his estate, allegedly claiming to want to help dispose of the Bitcoin fortune. Kleiman’s family claims that Wright did not return the funds. The official complaint states that Wright “forged a series of contracts that purported to transfer Dave’s assets to Craig and/or companies controlled by him. Craig backdated these contracts and forged Dave’s signature on them.”

Wright subsequently requested the court to dismiss the lawsuit against him, however the court rejected the request. The court document confirms that “the Court finds that Plaintiffs have sufficiently alleged a claim for conversion.” Now, the subpoena calls Garzik to appear in court and reveal any evidence to the “personal theory” that Kleiman was Satoshi Nakamoto. The subpoena also requests to provide all communications, agreements and documents related to both Wright and Kleiman.

Additionally, the document asks Garzik to provide information concerning Bitcoin mining for the period between January 1, 2009 and April, 2013, and refers to the search for documents related to Silk Road, Liberty Reserve,  Mt. Gox, and the Prometheus Project. The subpoena also asks for any communications with financial cryptographer Ian Grigg, CEO of Centre for Strategic Cyberspace + Security Science, Richard Zaluski, and early Bitcoin investor Roger Ver, among others. Last November, commenting on various hypotheses as to the Bitcoin creator’s identity,

Garzik said:

"My personal theory is that it’s [Satoshi Nakamoto] Floridian Dave Kleiman. It matches his coding style, this gentleman was self taught. And the Bitcoin coder was someone who was very, very smart, but not a classically trained software engineer.”

Article Produced By
Ana Alexandre

Total change in her career took Anastasia into the world of analytics and business information as a researcher and translator in 2010. Some time later she got into FinTech, a dynamically developing segment at the intersection of the financial services and technology. Ana joined Cointelegraph in September 2017.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-pioneer-jeff-garzik-subpoenaed-in-4-bln-lawsuit-against-craig-wright

SEC Chairman Highlights Investor Protection in Regard to Bitcoin ETF

SEC Chairman Highlights Investor Protection in Regard to Bitcoin ETF

            

United States Securities and Exchanges Commission (SEC) Chairman Jay Clayton

is still concerned about investor protection when it comes to the commission approving a Bitcoin (BTC) Exchange-Traded Fund (ETF). The SEC chairman spoke about crypto in an interview with FOX Business on March 14.

In the interview, Clayton claimed to be neutral toward digital currencies, saying that he is not a spokesperson against the asset. The SEC chairman explained that he is concerned with the potential for manipulation associated with the space, and wants to

guarantee investor protection:

“What I’m concerned about at the moment is if it can be reasonably demonstrated that the underlying trading is generally not manipulated, it’s happening on reliable venues with good rules and that custody is something we can feel comfortable about.”

While Clayton declined to comment on any specific Bitcoin ETF application, he still noted that there “may be a case where a Bitcoin ETF could satisfy our rules.”

The chairman elaborated:

“I think this technology has and is already demonstrating pretty significant promise, but it’s demonstrating significant promise in the places where it’s consistent with our approach to capital raising in the past.”

Recently, the SEC announced it will soon start the countdown period to approve or disapprove the VanEck/SolidX Bitcoin ETF. After withdrawing the ETF application due to the U.S. government shutdown in late January, the Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE) re-submitted the application a week later. Earlier this week, Jay Clayton confirmed his previous statement that Ethereum (ETH) and similar cryptocurrencies are not securities under U.S. law. However, Clayton stipulated that he meant that a digital asset’s definition as a security can change over time.

Article Produced By

https://cointelegraph.com/news/sec-chairman-highlights-investor-protection-in-regard-to-bitcoin-etf

Read previous article at:
https://markethive.com/group/cryptocoin/blog/ledger-client-address-issue-and-fake-deposits-community-spots-two-vulnerabilities-related-to-monero

US Marshals Service Issues Information Request on Management of Forfeited Crypto Assets

US Marshals Service Issues Information Request on Management of Forfeited Crypto Assets

                              

United States federal law enforcement agency,

the U.S. Marshals Service (USMS), is looking to set up an agent for managing confiscated cryptocurrency, according to public documents released on March 5. The USMS has recently published two draft documents including a Request for Information (RFI) for legal procedures of the management and disposal of forfeited crypto assets.

As a key component of the department's Asset Forfeiture Program (AFP) operating within the U.S. Department of Justice (DoJ), the USMS intends to assign an agent or contractor that will manage and dispose of seized or forfeited virtual currency. By initiating the RFI, the USMS expects to improve its current custodial operations by maintaining a complete and accurate accounting of the USMS’ virtual currency inventory. In the first document, the Performance Work Statement (PWS), the USMS describes the full range of forfeited virtual currency management and disposal services, including general procedures and responsibilities of the contractor.

According to the document, the contractor must ensure the accuracy and security of all virtual currency transactions, including the direct exchange of virtual currencies into U.S. dollars, the exchange into a more liquid form of virtual currency, a return to the owner and others. The PWS contract includes major activities associated with the management of virtual currencies, including accounting, customer management, audit compliance, managing blockchain forks, wallet creation, transformation of token assets into coin assets and others.

In the second document, the Quality Assurance Surveillance Plan (QASP), the USMS establishes an evaluation system for the performance of the contractor. The QASP describes major authorities such as Contracting Officer and Contracting Officer’s Representative that are responsible for performance measurement and effective evaluation of the contractor’s compliance. The USMS noted that the recently issued RFI is provided solely for information and planning purposes and does not represent either a Request for Proposal (RFP) or a promise to issue an RFP in the future. Last year, the USMS announced a bid auction for approximately 660 confiscated Bitcoins (BTC), with the auction participants required to deposit $200,000 in order to take part.

Article Produced By
Helen Partz

Helen is passionate about learning languages, cultures and the Internet. She has years of experience working at international online advertising projects. Growing interested in Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in late 2017, she joined Cointelegraph as a writer.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/us-marshals-service-issues-information-request-on-management-of-forfeited-crypto-assets

Securities Lawsuit Against Ripple to Stay in Federal Court

Securities Lawsuit Against Ripple to Stay in Federal Court

                                 

An ongoing securities lawsuit against payment startup Ripple

will stay in federal court, per a recent ruling. The news was announced by lawyer Jake Chervinsky in a tweet on Mar. 1. “The Court has denied the plaintiffs' motions to remand. This means the case stays in federal court, a minor but meaningful victory for Ripple,” Chervinsky wrote in the post. The ruling reads that United States District Judge Phyllis J. Hamilton, of the Northern District of California, has ordered that the class action suit against Ripple Labs, its subsidiary XRP II, and Ripple CEO Brad Garlinghouse, for the sale of unregistered securities must stay in federal court.

The document also mentions the court’s previous explanation that “[b]ecause interstate class actions typically involve more people, more money, and more interstate commerce ramifications than any other type of lawsuit, the Committee firmly believes that such cases properly belong in federal court.” Per the ruling, the parties have been given 14 days to conduct a meeting and determine how the litigation should proceed. On the expiry of 30 days of the order, the plaintiffs shall reportedly file an amendment consolidated compliant — i.e. a revision of the original complaint. Lawyers representing Ripple in the lawsuit filed an application to move the case to federal level in November of last year. That would purportedly allow Ripple to prove definitively that its XRP token is not a security under U.S. law, should it win.

The class action lawsuit against Ripple was initially filed by law firm Taylor-Copeland in May of last year, stating that the plaintiff, Ryan Coffey, purchased 650 XRP on Jan. 5 and sold it on Jan. 18 of last year for USDT. He then exchanged it for U.S. dollars, purportedly sustaining a loss of around 32 percent, or $551.89. The class action suits alleges that the defendants violated both the Securities Act and the California Corporations Code. The plaintiffs on whose behalf Coffey filed the claim are asking for payment for attorney’s fees, the costs of the suit, and punitive damages, as well as declaring the sale of XRP an unregistered securities sale.

Article Produced By
Ana Alexandre

Total change in her career took Anastasia into the world of analytics and business information as a researcher and translator in 2010. Some time later she got into FinTech, a dynamically developing segment at the intersection of the financial services and technology. Ana joined Cointelegraph in September 2017.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/securities-lawsuit-against-ripple-to-stay-in-federal-court